Well I know a lot of you out there love to keep active in your senior years, but a word of advice from a fellow veteran competitor; PACE yourself.
I am the first to encourage the continual participation in sport & fitness as we get older; the benefits are well know, cardiovascular, musculoskeletal, psychosocial, however, often the mind is willing & the body just can't keep up.
Here are a few tips:
• If you haven't participated for a while - start back gently
• ensure a good dynamic warm up preparing your body well for the activity that you are about to participate in;
• Cool Down with static stretching,
• Think about compression garments, these are great for enhancing recovery,
• Seek advice from a Physiotherapist about exercise rehabilitation, & pre screening,
• Why not get a remedial / Sports Massage after to enhance recovery.
Unfortunately the more we particpate the greater chance of injury itself, our bodies are not quite as supple or as strong as they use to be. A thorough pre-screening from one of our Physiotherapists could identify some areas that you can work on to prevent these injuries from occuring. Our Physios' can help identify weakness or stiffness in your body. Remember "It's time to Move Well & Stay Well"